Home » Android, Features, PC, Xbox 360

Minecraft: The Tyranny of The Creeper

21:0213/05/2012Posted by Charles Etheridge-Nunn40 Comments

To celebrate the launch of Minecraft – Mojang’s hugely successful build ‘em up – on the Xbox 360, D+PAD decided to take a close look at one of the game’s most-compelling (and downright evil) characters: The Creeper. So, with cuboids in hand, Charles Etheridge-Nunn enters the world of Minecraft and sets about dissecting this curious and terrifying foe…

The Creeper is possibly one of the best villains in computer game history. For a green, kind of phallic cactus thing, it’s surprising, but I think I’ve never shouted at my screen louder at anything more frustrating. The shock of seeing a creeper a second before dying at its hands makes me scream like a little girl in an unmarked, windowless van.

The Creeper is king of all bastards, and here are some of the reasons why he’s an interesting, compelling villain, and deserving of all our hate.

1) He is the Unmaker

Minecraft is a game where you build things. They could be small and practical or vast and ostentatious. You create, and that’s why it’s one of the best games around. In a video game culture where shooting foreign people in an environment made of varied brown hues, this is a colourful world where you make.

The Creeper does not make though. He destroys. He is death, he is the internet troll, he is the terrible remake of a song you like, forever etching a ruined version on your ears.
You build a hut, a creeper gets in and while you’re swinging your sword like crazy, he starts to hiss. He flashes. Then boom! He destroys everything.

If you die in Minecraft, there’s little cost. You respawn right away, and maybe you lose some nice items you had, but that’s not the problem. He’s killed your cabin, and night WILL fall. You have to start again. A creeper in your castle is a nightmare. Hillsides outside your home fill up with massive craters, scarred by his passing. Death isn’t the most important thing here, but your home, your project, your art is. They are the diametric opposite of you and that is why they are best.

2) Jumpscares Are Lazy , But Effective Horror

The hiss. That damn hiss. I’ve scared people out of the game by making that noise, and it’s a dick move. I’d fall for it too, I bet.

Zombies groan, spiders make slurping noises (again, I do a great spider noise), but creepers make no noise until it’s too late. You might be exploring a cave, wandering a beach, up on a hill or in your own home. There’s the fizzing noise and it’s too late. You spin around, see that green face and BANG! The deed is done. You’re dead, your home’s ruins and your possessions are scattered all over the place. I’ve played Minecraft since early in the beta, yet it’s still a surprise every time.

3) He Doesn’t Give a Shit

The creeper has no ties, no allegiance, nothing to limit it. You need to eat, it doesn’t. You need shelter, you have a home and you have trunks full of items. This makes you weak. The creeper doesn’t need these, it is not weak.

Its kin, the zombie and the skeleton, burn in daylight, the spider becomes docile. The creeper couldn’t care less. Even in the brightest day, you’re keeping an eye out; desperate not to die at their hands. They don’t have the same need, the same foibles. You are nothing, and the creeper knows that.

4) He’s His Own Man And Looks Good Doing His Thing

Nothing looks like a creeper. Well, a cactus, maybe, and that’s a whole other problem in itself. Still, it’s not a zombie, otherwise the creeper wouldn’t be identifiable as its own brand of bastard. It would be Minecraft’s version of a zombie. Don’t get me wrong, zombies are sods when they’re pounding on your door, but they’re not unique.

The creeper is entirely Minecraft’s monster; from the shoddy, blocky look to the purpose and its way of inconveniencing you. It is pure Minecraft and perfect for that reason. So many villains aren’t interesting, generally they’re just foreign people with guns (Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc), pointy aliens (Halo and its kin) or zombies (pick a game, go on, pick any game right now). Maybe they’re distinct, but have been used in the IP for decades, like slimes in Dragon Quest or Koopa Troopas in Mario. The creeper is a new piece of IP which looks interesting. He graces t-shirts, Lego, memes, he’s iconic after only a year or two, and that’s pretty unique for new intellectual properties.

5) Even The Creeper Isn’t Happy Doing What It Does

Look at the creeper’s face. It doesn’t take pleasure doing what it does. It looks sad, like there’s possibly some kind of backstory going on. Who knows how they’re made, where they come from. They know they’re going to die, and they may not care (see point #3), but they’re still not happy. That sad face has unspoken tragedy, horror. If they laughed, if they giggled, did anything to show that they loved their job, they would simply be a dick, or an evil clown. Instead, they’re not killing you out of spite. It’s all they have, and they’ll have their way.

So there we have it, five reasons why the creeper is the best enemy in video games, or at least one of them. They’re nice, simple, evil creatures that makes going up against them both a blessing and a curse to be. Without them, Minecraft wouldn’t have a serious threat to your projects. Rather than put you off of Minecraft because of how effective and how vicious these green sods are, I hope it gives you impetus to buy it. These creepers are an interesting challenge, a worthy adversary, and the risk they bring makes a completed project even more satisfying.

Now you’ve read this lengthy, purposefully sweeping statement, do you agree or disagree? Are there more effective nemeses in videogames? Do you have any war stories from the fight against the creeper menace? Comment in the thread below.

Have you downloaded the latest issue from GamerZines yet? Check it out here!

40 Comments »

• Graeme said:

I’ve been putting off buying this since it came out on the xBox, despite finding the demo strangely compelling… I think I’ve just been convinced.

• Steve said:

I tried the early iPhone version, but without the monsters, it was just locked in builder mode, and it didn’t really appeal…

I hear the Xbox version has split screen multi-player, so my plan is to go round a mates house and build with them every so often. Try and figure out what makes the “game” so compelling and then avoid getting hooked.

• Eric said:

I play Minecraft already but the creeper just makes me want to buy it… AGAIN. They’re fun to kill (or be killed by). I was once fighting 2 zombies at once and a creeper came up behind them, he burst through their lines and came at me! I hit him with my sword just as he started to hiss and the sword knockback pushed him into the zombies and they all blew up. Later that night I snipe a creeper with a bow.

• Jules said:

I could’nt agree more… If creepers werent in minecraft, i would hate minecraft. The complete minecraft.

• Shible said:

I hate creepers. They kill you countless times in fact in the first five minutes of the game the score is usually creeper 1000 you 0

• Shible said:

But Minecraft is not complete without creepers. I would be bored in 5 seconds of minecraft if creepers were not there. :D

• Shible said:

XD

• Shible said:

If u see me on a server say hi ShibleXD

• Notch said:

PUMPKIN PIES WERE ADDED!

• Fae said:

I’ve only met one other adversary even close to as annoying as I’ve been told the creeper is. A ganker from the opposite faction on a pvp server of WoW. Ganked while fishing–that’s the best! But no, the screams emitting from my children when a creeper comes is enough to make me want to play Minecraft :D

• Noah said:

Creepers… Ahhhh Creepers One Of the worthiest opponents in the fucking world. It dont matter if you hate or love em. There bastards but there amazing.

• meme said:

yea, I’ve had this happen a million times: I’m in a cave, mining diamonds, suddenly a hiss behind me, i turn around and hit madly at what i know it is, but all i have is a pickaxe. i pull out a sword on super low durability, and it breaks. I’m using my hand now to fight the monster, a flash…

• f u said:

fuck you

• f u said:

creeper in the nether how mod

• f u said:

he fuck you creepers 2000 die

• rod said:

creepers in my home dam!!!!

• rod said:

hey f u see you tomorrow!

• f u said:

ok minecraft!

• notch said:

move it

• notch said:

the frist time i play hardcore at night a creeper came all a had was seeds i ran and saw a flash…

and i DIED!!!!!!

• rod said:

ford

• rod said:

soz bro

• ChairThief said:

I once defended my house from a creeper by charging to attack it before it could reachthe building X’DD I lost over half of my life doing that but at least I didn’t have to rebuild everything.
    Ah man, these things are the best videogame enemies, hands down. Not only are they unique, but they are good at what they do because that’s ALL they do. They’re sneaky and crafty and blend right in with the environment.

…But I can’t help but want to give them a hug, because that sad look just makes my heart break XDDD

• John Anderson said:

I love minecraft I play the xbox mc with my cosin richy I play the demo at my home I want a creeper skin and the game I hate creepers but lure a creeper to the ocean and get under it and attak from underneth and it wont blow up.

• minecraft download free full version said:

Since the admin of this website is working, no uncertainty very rapidly
    it will be famous, due to its feature contents.

my web-site: minecraft download free full version

• how to get minecraft for free said:

Keep on working, great job!

Review my web page … how to get minecraft for free

• Deer hunter 2014 hack said:

For more from Brittany Frederick, visit Digital Airwaves and follow
    me on Twitter (@tvbrittanyf). Jerry strikes up a
    conversation with a community resident named Jack. If you prefer
    to play Castle Clash, make the best use of Castle Clash hack tools to enjoy the
    game to the utmost level.

my web page … Deer hunter 2014 hack

• Free Minecraft Server said:

Thank you for another informative site. The place else could I am getting that kind
    of information written in such a perfect method?
    I have a mission that I’m simply now working on, and
    I have been on the glance out for such info.

Also visit my weblog Free Minecraft Server

• free minecrat said:

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time
    to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I
    could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or tips.

Perhaps you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I want to read more things about it!

• Minecraft said:

Thanks , I have recently been searching for information approximately this
    subject for a long time and yours is the best I’ve discovered so far.
    But, what concerning the bottom line? Are you sure in
    regards to the source?

My website :: Minecraft

• libros de seduccion said:

I think this is among the so much vital information
    for me. And i am satisfied studying your article.
    However should statement on few normal issues, The site style
    is great, the articles is in reality excellent : D. Excellent activity,
    cheers

my web-site – libros de seduccion

• Sweet powder said:

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was
    good. I don’t know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous
    blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

Check out my web page: Sweet powder

• iherb coupon said:

No matter if some one searches for his necessary thing, so he/she wants to be available
    that in detail, thus that thing is maintained over here.

Feel free to surf to my webpage :: iherb coupon

• dayz hacks said:

This Dayz chop challenge

DayZ can be a online game of which had and the second of very humble beginnings.

The idea started off to be a area project for any activity builder referred to as Dean Hallway who was
    simply taking care of a mod for your not too common online game ARMA 3.
    This mod quickly took off as well as within just 2 or 3 weeks acquired a lot of gamers.
    After that many other activity programmers had taken an effort for the Dayz mod, making various edition including:
    Dayz Beginning and Dayz Epoch. The particular mod
    possibly got it’s own ripoff variation just like the notorious
    Battle Z malfunction that will brought about much conflict.

Because the start Dayz got a challenge together with hacks.
    Inside 1st couple of weeks from the mods kick off DayZ
    hackers took above hosting space along with energy including nuclear
    bombs and also to be able to develop a large foundation called the Thunderdome, in which participants
    will be teleported and pushed for you to fight. These include are just
    some of this degrees of the actual Dayz hacks that will caused several players to stop.

Dayz Standalone hacks are merely seeing that poor. The action may be
    battling hackers considering that it’s pre-alpha relieve a couple of months back again.
    At the moment they’ve already absolutely no anti-hack prognosis technique and that is creating cyberpunks to
    perform outdoors. The Dayz group are actually better with patching this exploits as opposed to the
    mod, but it all would seem a little too later.

Not too long ago Bohemia Interactive proved that will cyber criminals broke in to their own hosts and also stole your video games whole resource value.
    This is a big cope for DayZ Stand alone, it implies cyber-terrorist can realize
    every single make use of inside the video game that they can uses thus to
    their advantages. Your cyberpunks subsequently placed their
    award with Reddit, revealing their loot being a boasting proper.

• uvozne plocice said:

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! share we keep up a correspondence more approximately your post on AOL?
    I need a specialist in this space to unravel my problem.
    May be that’s you! Looking ahead to look you.

Here is my blog … uvozne plocice

• minecraft server said:

Hi outstanding blog! Does running a blog like this require a
    massive amount work? I have virtually no expertise in programming but I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
    Anyhow, should you have any ideas or tips for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject nevertheless I just had to ask.
    Thanks!

Here is my blog minecraft server

• World of WarPlanes Hack said:

What’s up everybody, here every person is sharing
    such know-how, so it’s good to read this website, and
    I used to go to see this webpage all the time.

• Buy RS 3 Gold said:

lots of designs include a Velcro and even zippered drawing a line under.

• New Style Christian Louboutin Black Python So Kate Booty 100mm Boots For Sale said:

While back in the day taboo your can purchase one of these brilliant fake bags, it easily has reality be a little more popular and they even be included in buggies who definitely are in place on the side of the trail with regard to when you can see.

• Grady said:

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising.
    The clarity in your post is just cool and i could
    assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me
    to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please carry on the rewarding work.

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: